26 October 2002
RESOLUTION ON IDN
Internationalised Domain Names (IDN) went through the standardisation process at IETF which approved publication of four proposed standards.
APTLD recognises the need of co-ordination on IDN, in particular in its localisation and global deployment.
APTLD specifically recommends that the global Internet community undertakes the following:
1. Development of Issues List
2. Development of Recommended Best Practices
3. Creates archives of various resources from around the world
4. Undertake public relations effort, including outreach
APTLD further recommends all stakeholders to co-ordinate on this matter, especially the ccTLD community which includes all language communities in the world.
APTLD specifically recommends:
1. THAT the ccTLD Constituency (ccSO) to form IDN Working Groups to address issues for various language groups
2. THAT the global Internet community have regular fora among various stakeholders to co-ordinate activities starting with information exchanges.
See Appendix for the relevant organisations working on IDN activities and their archive.
APPENDIX – PARTIAL LIST OF ORGANISATIONS INVOLVED IN IDN
IETF/IDN WG www.ietf.org
ICANN/IDN Ctte www.icann.org
DNSO/IDN WG www.dnso.org